Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:08:29 +1000
From:      young@richardson.apana.org.au
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, crw@the-pentagon.com
Subject:   user ppp and my isp

I had same problem and it seemed no amount of messing with the configuration files made any significant difference. Eventually I found
a shell script at ftp://flag.blackened.net and that got the problem solved.
There was a very long thread in this list about the problem and I believe
there are at least a couple other locations to find the shell script too.
It makes all the config files up for you automatically, but be sure to look at ppp.conf and remove any excess timeout entries, any "#" entries in the
"set timeout <value>" line, and probably the "Carrier" entry in the log line or you will have a few error messages when you run ppp <ISP>.
Somewhere in the docs there is a quite terse explanation of various dialling modes ..... you will probably need to use one of them to suit local conditions. eg I use ppp -ddial <ISP> as the "-ddial" apparently tells ppp to keep the connection up (no timeout) and bring it up again if disconnected. That suits my requirements as I've got a permanent modem connection, but other modes may be more relevant to your local conditions