Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:06:39 +0200
From:      Joost Bekkers <joost@bps.jodocus.org>
To:        Edvard Fagerholm <desti@sigtrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting programs automatically during boot on a virtual terminal

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 08:25:01PM +0300, Edvard Fagerholm wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I need to start a curses based front-end to an application automatically
> during boot on a terminal without ever asking for any login or similar.
> How can this be done in FreeBSD? On linux you can use inittab and use
> the binary "open" to configure the terminal, but I've got no idea how to
> do it on FreeBSD.
>
> So ttyv0 should be running this program and all the other terminals
> should have a normal login prompt. I've looked at various files like
> /etc/ttys where you can specify the terminal application to run, but you
> can't just run any application here as it has to configure the terminal
> and getty can't be used as it doesn't run any other binary than "login".

You can create a user who will automatically start that program on login and
instruct getty to autologin with that user.

in /etc/gettytab copy the 'pc' entry to one with a new name and add 'al=<username>'
see gettytab(5) for details

in /etc/ttys change the type for ttyv0 from pc to the newly created type

send a HUP to init.

--
greetz Joost
joost@jodocus.org