Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:47:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Which IBM IDE disk?

6 months ago I bought an IBM DHEA 36480 (6 GB Ultra DMA IDE drive,
also nicknamed "Deskstar 5"), with which I have been well pleased.
Now it looks as if another drive is dying, and I'm looking around for
a second IBM IDE drive.  Well, the Deskstar 5s are gone, and the
Deskstar 8s which replaced them are on their way out, and now there's
the Deskstar 16.  I end up with the choice between a DHEA-38541 (DS 8)
or a DTTA-350840 (DS 16), both 8.4 decimal GB.  The DHEA costs SGP
$338 in Singapore, the DTTA costs $369.

I've looked at the IBM web site, and I can't find any significant
difference between the three series.  They all have a 9.5 ms average
positioning time, the same average latency, the same rotational speed,
a 512 kB buffer from which the firmware steals a chunk, the same
interface, and documents which are laid out completely differently
just to confuse me.  Does anybody know a reason I should shell out $31
more for the DTTA?

Greg