Date:      Sun, 27 Nov 2005 06:02:56 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        siva m <tech.sivam@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Firewall...

On 2005-11-26 12:02, siva m <tech.sivam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>      I recently installed FreeBSD 6-Release on my AMD AthlonXP
> box. I recompiled the kernel with 'cvstag=6_RELENG' with
> firewall enabled and everything went smoothly. I buildworld,
> compiled kernel and installed it.

Hi,

Please do *not* type things out of memory, but be precise,
specific and provide as much detail as possible when asking
questions like this.  I'm sure there is no "6_RELENG" branch in
our sources, so you can't have used that.

> And after installing the world in single user mode, I tried to
> boot into newly installed kernel, everything seems to be fine
> except that there is no internet connection. I enabled the
> FIREWALL="yes" in my rc.conf and the firewall type I specied as
> 'client'. Also I specified the IP address and network in the
> 'rc.firewall' file.

It is always a very good idea to show us the *exact* lines you
have edited.  Exactly as they appear in your system configuration
files.

Again, there are errors in the description above that may confuse
anyone trying to help you out.  For instance, there is no
"FIREWALL=yes" setting for `/etc/rc.conf'.  There is a setting
that is called `firewall_enable', but this is a different option
because capitalization and the exact name of the options in
rc.conf do matter...

Can you repost your question and include the precise changes you
have made to your system configuration, please?

If enabling the firewall has locked you out of the machine or has
made it impossible to access the network from the machine, then
it may help a bit if you disable all sorts of firewalling from
your machine and simply reboot.  To disable all known firewalls,
add the following to your `/etc/rc.conf' file:

    firewall_enable="NO"
    pf_enable="NO"
    ipfilter_enable="NO"

Regards,