Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2014 20:47:48 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do user files go these days?

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 15:30:10 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:
> I've never understood the logic of putting /home under /usr. If you
> ever needed to do a fresh install from scratch it would be all too
> easy to wipe out all of home when you delete the original contents of
> /usr.

Exactly, that is a problem to expect. I think this idea
comes from the "fixed partition size at initialization"
paradigm where you had to choose how big each partition
should be, and you could not create more than a - h partitions
(in the MBR manner). So you thought: / is that big, then
add swap, /var should be limited to so and so, and the
rest - well, that will be for installed applications and
user files, because we don't know how big they might get.
If we make /usr too small, we'll run out of space, and
if /home is full, well, users can't store any more data...

With GPT and "numerical partitions", this problem does
not apply anymore. ZFS can also deal perfectly fine with
varying numbers of partitions of varying size.

And hard disks are also big and cheap. :-)

> It goes against the FreeBSD approach of /usr containing material
> for the base system and /usr/local for the rest. It might have been
> more appropriate to have /usr/local/home but still far safer to have a
> top level /home directory.

By "deduction" (applied from "man hier"), /usr/local is
for installed applications which are managed by the system's
package maintaining means (ports collection, pkg, portmaster,
whatever you want). But user files are _not_ subject to
that maintaining, so they should not be in there.

(That is _one_ possible way of interpretation.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany