Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:13:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us (Jim Durham)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

In reply:
> > I don't know where you live, but they can be found at both Fry's and
> > "Weird Stuff" - two popular Bay Area computer outlets.  Fry's,
> (snip)
> > I've also seen copies at Cody's bookstore in Berkeley, a popular
> > hangout for CS types.  More linux stuff, naturally, but they at least
> > had FreeBSD in the retail box in their OS section.  I believe you can
> > also find them at Computer Literacy, though I haven't checked recently.
>
> A large bookseller in the Midwest is Barnes and Noble. They are
> trendy (coffeeshop, live musicians and all that). There are probably
> 9-10  of the huge shelf units full of Bill's stuff (M$) and one full
> of Linux stuff. There is a shelf unit devoted to misc operating systems.
> It had one book on BSD, no mention of FreeBSD at all. Most of it was
> Apple and Mac stuff. There was actually more Linux than Mac in the
> store.

about the same in Dallas/Ft. Worth [a bit more on the misc side, but
still no BSD], and here in the Kansas City area the stores actually
think linux IS unix...  i did hear of a single cd-rom store in dallas
[richardson?] that at one time had FreeBSD, but that store was a bit
out of the way...  not bad for two metropolitan areas with a combined
population of 15-20 million people, one store carrying FreeBSD, and it
was so far out of the way that i didn't go there...  apparently KU has
a real big linux community, so does UMKC...

that's just my personal experience...

> Where I work (mobile video production company), we hired some bozos
> to put in a network  a year and a half ago (NT with 95 workstations
> replacing
> a Novell/DOS network, *still* not working properly). There are two of us
> in engineering that suggested Unix instead. We were hooted down with "Oh
> No,
> it's full of security holes!" and "Nobody can understand it!" and "It
> won't run Windows!". It's amazing what the perception of Unix is outside
> CS circles.
> I've even been told "Don't admit you use Unix, it will look bad for
> you!"

all of those subliminals bill puts in winblowz must be working...

> The two major universities here, Pitt and CMU are running a lot of Linux
> in
> the CS departments, but in the offices they're using M$. There's no
> FreeBSD
> in academia here that I'm aware of. A few CDs to both of these CS
> departments
> would be worthwhile, I think.

Same goes for Kansas and Missouri, as well as UT [Arlington, and
Dallas]...

that's a shame about CMU...  especially with the CMU connections to
4.4BSD...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or