Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 96 22:38:27 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net, davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

> If all else fails a program that reads a block every 30s or so.

This is what I'm doing: I put a line consisting of all stars in
/etc/crontab (so it executes every minute) and had it do a sync.
FreeBSD's sync always hits the disk, so this keeps it spinning.

The heads still retract, though. It'd be good to turn power management off,
and turn off prefetches at the same time. If Linux can do it, surely
FreeBSD can.

--Brett

P.S. -- Am still trying to diagnose that arplookup failure. Why might the
system be attempting to do an ARP on a system that isn't even on the local
net? And that isn't named anywhere in the network configuration files?