Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:42:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to monitor paging activity?

> From: Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
>
> I'm working on some rrd based monitoring tools, using sysctl to
> extract the info I need.   I've got the vm stuff ala top working,
> but I cant figure out the sysctl variables that will identify paging
> and swapping behaviour.  I suspect that the numbers I need are in here
> someplace, but I'm not sure.

I'd say you're doing it the wrong way, but I'm lazy. vmstat already
does the work, can be used to extract all the information you're
interested in, and *is maintained by somebody else*. If you want a GUI
that lets you set buttons and then gives you a graphical output of
system paging activity over time, a wrapper around vmstat would be
straightforward. Further, what you're contemplating would probably
only work on FreeBSD from the date the last variable of interest was
added onward (do the other BSDen have them?). A wrapper could be built
that would provide minimal functionality on most version of Unix, and
full functionality on a wider range of platforms than anything that
uses sysctl. Look through the system monitors in /usr/ports/sysutils
to see how they deal with portability. Of course, you may find what
you're looking for there anyway.

> Anybody know where these are documented?

If you *really* want to read the data yourself (or are interested in
learing about the vm system), the best I could find for those is the
source to vmstat. It uses nlist instead of sysctl to get the data, but
the names are the same.

	Use the source,
	<mike