Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 17:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   re: Longer usernames

> From: Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
>
>   I've decided to make my system incompatible with the world by changing
> the maximum username length.  Problem is, I forgot where the appropiate
> constant is stored.

I needed to support 10 character user names in order to convert our installed
base over to freebsd.  This did not require a kernel change.

I changed /usr/include/utmp.sh UT_NAMESIZE to 10.  Recompile everything,
don't forget xterm.  Reboot in single user mode and clear out the utmp
file.

This has been working for several months without trouble.

In param.h there is a kernel parameter MAXLOGNAME which is 12.  So
if you want more than 10 you might have to recompile the kernel to support it.

It tried to blow it out to 16 character usernames but ran into some
kernel crashes so I back out (since I really only needed 10).

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net