Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:45:11 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        "'freebsd-arm'" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do U-boot and SPL compare to an IML and an IPL on a mainframe?

Hi,

While I'm waiting for the delivery of my first ARM based board, I was
wondering if someone would be kind enough to provide a brief explanation (or
a link to one) of how U-boot and SPL (and related software) in de UNIX
world, required in the process of starting up some systems, compare to an
Initial Microcode Load (IML) and an Initial Program Load (IPL) in the world
of mainframes.

In others words am I correct in assuming that U-boot more or less does what
an IML does and that SPL more or less does what an IPL does?

Thanks and regards, Jk.