Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:50:20 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is BSD slower?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 06:45:47PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:
> I'm trying to explain to a pal who tried BSD recently why this might
> be.  He also had problems with running netscape w/o a.out X binaries
> (probably because he didn't use the port, right?)  And he also said he

afaik, there is no native BSD netscape bin which is elf, so you need the
a.out libs to run it, or the Linux compat installed to run the Linux elf
binary.

>  had to reboot to use newly installed libraries, that ldconfig did not
>  work.  He's an advanced Unix/Linux user, so i don't know what i could
>  do to help him, and these are all the details i have.  But i would

Probably because he didn't bother reading the ldconfig manual page, it
works fine: ldconfig -aout -R -m -v

>  like to respond with something positive in the way of BSD advocacy,
>  even if it doesn't change his mind and bring him back to BSD.  He
>  just felt it reminded him too much of Xenix times, w/o bells and
>  whistles.

The majority of the problems users face under BSD is lack of rtfm'ing. I
know it's tired and overused cliche but it's true. Most people don't
bother reading the documentation and trying to help themselves first
before asking for help or giving up entirely.

I'm sure if he wants everything to be user-friendly he could simply
install one of the many Linux configurations, otherwise I would suggest to
your friend to read manpages, they're not there just to look pretty :)