Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2016 21:36:10 +0000
From:      spellberg_robert <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slowing_down a super_fast mouse

On 06/21/16 06:29, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> try:
>
> xset m 4 1
>
> Check man xset for what the two numbers stand.
>
> Erich
>

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 01:55:33 +0000
> spellberg_robert <emailrob@emailrob.com> wrote:
>
>> howdy , folks ---
>>
>> i hope that everyone is well .

[ big snip ]

i thank you , sir , for your response .

after reading both of the two responses that i received ,
   i chose to address , first , the content that was supplied by
   { A | A in [ "mr ." , "mrs ." , miss , e_production ] } polytropon ,
   as that content dealt , principally , with configuration .

because my response to { B | B in [ him , her ] } will be extensive
   [ it will take most of the day to compose , here at the salt_mine ] ,
   i wanted to respond to you , immediately .
fortunately , this content applies to both of the said responses .

after satisfying myself , that my configuration was correct [ mostly ] ,
   i returned to your post , as it had piqued my interest .
one or another of my configuration files uses xset(1) ,
   to define the keyboard "auto_repeat" parameters .
consequently , i am familiar with the output of "xset q" .
until now , i had had no need to adjust any of the mouse settings .
the defaults were "good enough" .

from "xset q" , i found that both boxen were configured as

	Pointer Control:
	  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4

after playing around with the settings , for a_while ,
   i found that your exact suggestion [ above ] works very well ,
   on the 10.2/i386/vt/ps2 box [ "slowpoke rodrigues" ] .
for the time being , i can leave this box be .
given that 10.3 is released , i do not want to do more with this ,
   except , of course , when necessary .

however , on the 9.3/amd64/syscons/ps2 box [ "speedy gonzales" ] ,
   i have settled upon , for now ,

	Pointer Control:
	  acceleration:  1/4    threshold:  1

   which --does-- help , somewhat , for --general-- use .
none_the_less , for precise positioning ,
   even this setting is way too "touchy" .
this suggests that , as regards the "resolution" concept ,
   i need to conduct further research and experimentation .
the effort will be worth my while .
probably , my 9.3 boxen will be around for some time ,
   as they are "amd64" .

again , sir , i thank you , for your assistance .
certainly ,
   you hit one_and_a_good_fraction of the two nails on the head ,
   given that most of my cli is done in xterm and that
   most of my gui is done in firefox [ and , sometimes , thunderbird ] .

rob

ps --- no need to "cc" ; i am subscribed to "-questions@" .