Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:24:06 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Sergey Lapin <slapin@tec.karelen.elektra.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two silly questions aboun netbooting

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:13:01AM +0300, Sergey Lapin wrote:
> 1. I have p1-75 with a small disk (40Mb), where I want to put kernel.
> And then want it to mount root from 192.168.1.1:/nfsroot, so diskless
> scripts located there took control and system should be running?
> The best could be if DHCP/BOOTP be avoided since there are such
> servers exist in our network and running on non-standard ports could
> become a nightmare...

It should be possible. I can suggest two ways. If you want to make
it look really like a diskless boot, you can probably hack the code
in /usr/src/sys/nfs/bootp_subr.c to pretend it sends a request and
pretend it receives a response and hard code the IP address and
root path in there.

Alternatively, and slightly less hacky, you could build a kernel
with an MFS root and include enough commands to mount the nfs root
on /nfsroot and symlink everything else into place.

> 2. I have old Compaq LTE Elite 486 notebook without hard drive (no
> disk cage, so no possibility to put hard drive inside), and 3c589
> PCMCIA ethernet card - is it possible to make it netbooting?
> Floppy works, so is it possible to make X terminal from it, booting
> kernel from floppy and mounting NFS root?

The second method mentioned above should work for this machine too.

	David.