Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 03:23:32 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        "John H. Baldwin" <jobaldwi@cslab.vt.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving manpages, executables out of sys/modules

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 11:43:11AM -0400, John H. Baldwin wrote:
> If we are going to seperate module compiles out from world (which I
> agree is a good idea), then we need to move the manpages and shell scripts
> that are world material (such as linux.sh for /usr/bin/linux) out of
> sys/modules.  For example, move src/sys/modules/linux/linux.{sh,8} into
> src/usr.bin/linux/.  The same would go for svr4, osf1, isbc2, joy, el, and
> all the netgraph manpages.  Any objections?

The modules and man pages should match what is really installed.
If I do a buildworld, I may get a linux.{sh,8} installed that don't
match what is actually installed.

The other side of the coin is, we have directories like src/share/man[49]/*.[49]
that define kernel interfaces that get installed during a buildworld, but
do not actually reflect the running kernel.  That one is hard to overcome,
because the man pages are separate from the kernel, and there isn't
a good mechanism to ensure they are in sync.  I don't know how other
people do it, but I never do a "make install" to install new kernels.
I copy them to / by hand something like cp kernel /kernel.0511 and then
link that copy to /kernel so that I can easily go back, and if somehow
I wind up with a bum kernel, I can figure out when it started going
bad (to some degree).

Keeping the .sh scripts and man pages with the individual modules
ensures that they are all in sync.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard