Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:35:18 -0300 (ADT)
From:      User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
Cc:        'Nikolas Britton' <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>, "'Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC'" <chad@shire.net>, 'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Tamouh H. wrote:

>> On Jul 25, 2006, at 8:16 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>>

>>> ICP Vortex is an Adaptec company and Adaptec doesn't
>> support FreeBSD.
>>> We've already been over this once.
>>
>> Not to disagree with you, but Adaptec put new drivers for 5.3
>> and 5.4 for their 2420, 2820, 2320SLP, 2130SLP, and
>> 4800/4805SAS driver back in April 06 up on their website.
>>
>> Their support could be a lot better, but these are new cards
>> and new FreeBSD drivers...  There is no storage manager
>> aaccli like there was earlier :-( (maybe a Linux one,
>> assuming there is one, will work like the Linux aaccli
>> program works on FreeBSD?)
>>

> I've 2130SLP and the drivers Adaptec posted caused server reboots almost
> immediately, the documentation were lacking (device name has changed
> which would cause a failed boot) and as you said aaccli is not working,
> not even the new linux ASM.
>
> On that point, do you still have the linux aaccli file ? I've been
> looking for it with no luck. Just updated the 2130SLP firmware and its
> no longer accepting the aaccli utility.
>
> Advise.....stay away from Adaptec on FreeBSD and especially RAID
> controllers.

Stupid question, but has anyone actually email'd Adaptec support?  I'm
having issue with the iir driver, I've email'd ICP Support about it, since
its one of hte ICP Vortex cards that is causing the problem ... I got a
response back to the effect of "We do not officially support FreeBSD 6.x,
but can you give us details on the problem" ...

How many ppl out there are running FreeBSD with an iir device?  that
includes the ICP/Adaptec cards, as well as Intel RAID controllers ... how
many are running them on FreeBSD 6.x?  How many are getting "odd problems"
with their servers that they can't really trace to anywhere, but aren't
posting about it either?

The point is, if we keep acting as "individuals", vendors will treat as
unimportant ... if we start acting like an organization, and actually
*lobby* these vendors for better support, maybe they will start to listen
to us ...

----