Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:30:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        rjesup@wgate.com (Randell Jesup), freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O Evaluation Questions (Long but interesting!)

Simon Shapiro wrote...
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> > It could be that the combination of the DPT controller's 256MB cache and
> > fancy queueing, and your 1GB of RAM is causing the amazingly fast disk speeds.
>
> These DPTs seem to be optimal for RAID-5, very good at RAID-0
> and nothing exciting for single disks.  I have some FC-AL
> gear on order.
>
> What worries me is not the perfromance, but the corruption
> of the stack that I see.
>
> For example, I can run the same 400 processes against the
> raw device all day and all night without a hitch.
> Run them against a block device and something bizzare
> happens;  A filesystem get corrupted, the Adaptec driver
> times out, tsleep segfaults, something.  At times I can
> get the error in the driver, but then it makes no sense
> either.  There are tons of self-checks and state
> verifications in the code.  None trip, or when they do
> they are as illogical as the null pointer inside tsleep.

Well, since you've done a lot of work to try to isolate the problem in your
code, but haven't tracked it down, I'd suggest taking your code out of the
picture as a variable.

Create a CCD or Vinum array, using the same disks on Adaptec controllers.
Run the same tests, against the raw and block devices, and see if you get
the same sort of weird behavior.

If you do, you have solid proof that it's not your code, since your code
wasn't in the kernel.  If you don't, unfortunately, you don't have solid
proof either way.  (Since in that case, it could be some set of
circumstances that your driver tickles that CCD or Vinum don't.)

One other thing to make sure of is that you're running a -stable with
Justin's Adaptec driver bug fix from September 20th.  It fixed some cases
where corruption could happen with Ultra 2 Adaptec controllers.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org