Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:51:56 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

Michael Lucas wrote:

> >  "if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're doing
> > ..."
>
> Unfortunately, that's life in IT nowadays.

	I find that I'm often put into the position of being less secure than
I'd like to more because of pressure from people in power who don't
have a clear understanding of the issues.  My boss is pretty good
about it, his boss is fairly ok about it, but above that it gets ugly
:-(  Yes, it's part of my job to help educate these folks, but my
point is that often is more of a social/politcal difficulty for me to
secure a box more than anything else.

> I'm the support management dude for a consulting company.  We run NT,
> AIX, Solaris, AS/400, and a few other things, not to mention the
> programs than run on them.  The folks under me are decent, but not
> what I'd call "expert."

	My office and several other programs on campus have been going
through this problem for over a year now.  It can be very difficult to
attract even half qualified people.  We are only 1.5-2 hours from
Silicon Valley and that hasn't helped in attracting people :-(

> FreeBSD is fairly easy to lock down, but I'd feel *far* better if I
> knew everything on all my boxes was shut down by default.  I do a
> "netstat -na" on a Solaris machine and cry.  Many UNIXes make it
> difficult to identify what's running where.
>
> Should the company devote the hundreds of man-hours necessary to learn
> exactly what is running everywhere and determine how necessary it is?
> Yep.  Are they going to?  Nope.  Can we even *hire* some of those
> experts here in Detroit?  Nope.

	A painful reality compressed into one paragraph.

> All I can say is, thank God for my FreeBSD firewall.  All I have to
> worry about is my inside users.  :)

	I have a lot more confidence in my firewalls than I do in my users
inside of them.  Given that I worry because a firewall only addresses
certain issues.

	Ug.

--
Joseph Scott