Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 95 9:15:33 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP and diskless support

> > > Actually, it is the Internet Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, a
> > > compatible extension of BootP.  Search the RFC index for `DHC' and
> > > `BOOTP'.
> >
> > Is this a "yes, it will be integrated"?
> >
> > "compatible" seems to imply a yes answer.
> >
> > If that's the case, then now all we need is DHCP query code for the
> > diskless clients -- any takers?
> >

> I just looked at the DHCP patch and it does not support dynamic address
> allocation.  All it does is include DHCP options in the reply packets
> supporting the DHCP DISCOVER->OFFER->REQUEST->ACK process.  The addresses
> come from /etc/bootptab as before.

OK, so it's still suitable for WfWG 3.1, Windows 95, and NT clients,
making it Microsoft Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.

And it's a step in the right direction for Internet Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol.

Now that we've arrived at what it looks like... 8^)...

Does it get committed?  What does the author say about distributability?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.