Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:20:06 -0400
From:      Chris Hill <jchill@dgsys.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions list <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ppp annoyance

I'm running 2.2.7-RELEASE on a K6-266. It's set up to do routing with NAT;
two other computers plus a printer on an Ethernet, all with bogus IPs,
routed thru the BSD box which has a PPP connection to the world. Everything
seems to work fine, except that every time PPP connects I get, for example,

gueuze# Sep 16 19:44:56 gueuze pppd[197]: CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

a couple of minutes after connecting. This doesn't seem to affect
operation, but it looks like something's not right.

Another weirdness: if I kill and restart pppd, it gives me the following
message at the console (three times - one each for the three virtual
consoles?)

Sep 16 19:51:02 gueuze pppd[248]: ioctl(TIOCSETD): Device not configured

...but as I said, everything *seems* to be working OK. Is this something to
be concerned about?

More info: I'm running kernel PPP, a.k.a. pppd. I won't inflict my kernel
config file on the list, but will supply it if asked. Here is my
/etc/ppp/options:

204.97.64.155:204.97.64.118  # oddly, my IP is static
ipcp-accept-remote           # while my ISP's is not
/dev/cuaa1 115200
connect '/usr/bin/chat -f /etc/ppp/dial.chat'
defaultroute
crtscts
passive
refuse-chap
refuse-pap
bsdcomp 12,12
deflate 12,12
demand
idle 1200

...and here is my /etc/ppp/dial.chat:

ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
TIMEOUT 5
'' at&f1
OK ATDT<my ISP's dialup access number>
TIMEOUT 45
CONNECT ''
TIMEOUT 8
gin: <my PPP userid>
word: <my PPP password>

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this, and thanks also for one kickass OS
- unlike anything else I've seen, FreeBSD *works.*

--
Chris Hill                   jchill@dgsys.com
[place witty saying here]