Date:      Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:07:39 -0500
From:      Bob Bomar <bob@ibsd.us>
To:        Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs question

Denny White wrote:

| I appreciate the answer. I'm kind of up
| against the wall with this thing. Can't
| seem to get it. I created /usr/local/ncvs,
| setenv CVSROOT /usr/local/ncvs & tried to
| do what I thought would be simpler & a good
| trial run on something simpler than the
| whole source tree. I did a cvsup on www &
| got it okay. Then I went into /usr/local/www
| & did a make install. It started filling up
| /root with public_html & finally stopped on
| an error, saying the CVSROOT environment
| setting was invalid. What am I doing wrong?
|

| On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Bob Bomar wrote:
|
|> Denny White wrote:
|> |
|> |
|> | I know before asking this has been
|> | covered profusely, and I have read
|> | a lot in the handbook, man pages,
|> | fbsd web site & mailing list archives.
|> | But, there are some things I just do
|> | not understand. My main question is,
|> | is it okay to change
|> | /home/ncvs
|> | /usr/ncvs
|> | I ask because of the repository size
|> | compared to what I have on this box
|> | on /home & /usr.
|> |
|> | Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
|> | /dev/amrd0s1e    1.9G    277M    1.5G    15%    /home
|> |
|> | Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
|> | /dev/amrd0s1g     11G    2.3G    7.7G    23%    /usr
|> |
|> | So you can see why I want to use /usr/ncvs
|> | instead of /home/ncvs. I guess I'm a lousy
|> | googler, but I just couldn't seem to phrase
|> | my question to find the answer I wanted.
|>
|> You can change it to what ever you want.
|> I have /usr/local/cvs/ and then various repositories
|> for different projects.

|> |
|> | My 2nd question is, when you cvsup an individual
|> | release, it says not to include ports-all and
|> | doc-all, as you will wipe out what you already
|> | have. But, when you don't specify an individual
|> | release, just *default release=cvs and src-all,
|> | if you specify ports-all & doc-all, you won't
|> | wipe out what you already have. Am I understanding
|> | it correctly?
|> | Thanks in advance for your patience & any help
|> | & explanations I receive.
|> |
|> |

|> You want to cvsup ports-all with tag=. since
|> the ports dont change with each relase, just the src.

I think I may be a little confused.

Are you trying to setup a cvsup mirror?  If so, then
look at net/cvsup-mirror.  That will setup a mirror
for you, and it will ask where you want to store the
data.

If you are just wanting to pull the src tree, then
you can use anon cvs and something like:

% cd /usr/local/ncvs
% setenv CVSROOT :pserver:freebsdanoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
% cvs login
% cvs co -rRELENG_5 src
... wait for everything to transfer ...
% cvs logout

CVSROOT is where the repository resides.  I.E. in the
example above, the repository is located at
anoncvs.FreeBSD.org in /home/ncvs.

- --
Bob Bomar
bob@bomar.us