Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:01:49 +0200
From:      "Aijaz Baig" <aijaz.abaig@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: incomplete 'portupgrade -a' command

Hello,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aijaz Baig <aijaz.abaig@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: incomplete 'portupgrade -a' command
To: Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>

Hello,
Thank you for your advice lars.

With regards to Lars' following quote:

> Yes.  However if you canceled portupgrade while it was updating the ports
> database, you could have hosed the database, and that could lead to
> problems.

does it mean that if I had used something like CTRL+Z to stop the execution
of the 'portupgrade -a' process, it might have led to problems?

To that end, I'd like to add that I had initially issued the same command
then decided to some more work on the internet and hence issued the CTRL+Z
command to stop it when I noticed that it was taking some time.

Then after finishing my work I reissued the command only to find after an
hour that it was still running and I wasn't able to do anything with my box
(it almost froze)..and hence I resorted to the Reboot as said earlier.

Do you think I might have hosed the database? (Whats Hosing a database by
the way?)...Is there some way to remedy the problem if there is any?

Hope to hear from you,

Best regards,

Aijaz Baig.