Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:36:20 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: T/TCP in FreeBSD-3.x

In message <36A85EF1.444A86B@urc.ac.ru> you write:
>Why I'm asking about this, is because I recently read an advice in one
>of the FreeBSD mailing lists,
>about "Why my dial-up PPP connection from a FreeBSD box is so slow
>comparing with Windows NT
>(about ten times slower)?"
>
>And the advice was (without explanations): "Try to switch off the
>TCP_EXTENSIONS in /etc/rc.conf".

Some dialup terminal servers have problems with TCP options; turning
off TCP_EXTENSIONS is the easiest way to handle these terminal servers.

>So, is it safe to use T/TCP (at least for Squid) for RELENG_3?
>RELENG_2_2?

I asked for more info about the problems they were having with T/TCP
and never got much of an answer; since they don't say what the problem
they were having was it's hard to say whether or not it was resolved.

>And what about MBUF size (mentioned at the same page of the Squid FAQ)?
>Do I need to patch Squid as it shown at the page?

Recent (as in the last day or so) RELENG_3's should not need this patch;
the bug described has been fixed in another way.

  Bill