Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:20:32 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Does vinum actually currently build under 3.2-STABLE?

Folks,

	I know a little while back that Poul-Henning Kamp had suggested
some changes to vinum that would get it to compile (in 3.2-STABLE?),
and I've seen some recent traffic on -current to indicate that there
were some other minor problems keeping vinum from building with
FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.

	The problems with FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT appear to have been cleared
up by Greg committing one additional file to CVS.  However, I am not
exactly clear on whether vinum is currently supposed to build
out-of-the-box with 3.2-STABLE, either with the provided code
(apparently dated 5 May) or with the tarball at
<ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/vinum/vinum-4.0-CURRENT.tar.gz>; (dated 11
May).

	The reason that I ask is that I've got a new server that I'm
setting up (pretty honkin' w/ a PIII@450Mhz and 1GB RAM), and I've
just benchmarked it with Greg's "rawio" program.

	However, that was with the four IBM Ultrastar 9LZX 10kRPM drives
connected through a DPT SmartRAID IV controller (the drivers still
aren't out yet for the SmartRAID V) with 64MB cache and 128KB stripe
size (automatically selected when the card was configured for maximum
performance).  I'd now like to see how this system performs with an
Adaptec 3950U2 and vinum, attached to the same drives.

	Anyway, any answers you can provide would be appreciated.  In
particular, since I am not subscribed to the -stable mailing list, I
would appreciate at least being cc'ed on any response you may have
that goes back to the list.\

	TIA!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]