Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:06:39 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Bob Falanga <rfalang.bob@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configure printers

Bob Falanga wrote:
> I would like to configure a HP laserjet 1018 USB on freebsd. So far I have
> had no luck. During the boot cycle I can see the Laserjet 1018 listed as a
> peripheral (ulpt0 HP LaserJet 1018 address 3 rev 9.00/1.00 iclass 7/1 using
> bi directional niods). when I go to settings in the pop-down menu then to
> printers, change to administrator, freebsd doesn't show any printers
> connected to the computer.
>
> HELP
>
> thank you,
> Bob

I happen to have a Laserjet 1015 that works perfectly. I believe they
are quite similar.
I suggest you use CUPS to operate this. A quick guide specific to
FreeBSD can be found in DesktopBSD's site here:

http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:printing

Install all the ports mentioned (you may have some already installed
and  others will be pulled as dependencies) and then follow the rest of
the instructions for setting device permissions and so on. You will have
the printer running in no time.

Manolis