Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:33:30 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

-On [20000107 00:01], Poul-Henning Kamp (phk@critter.freebsd.dk) wrote:
>In message <20000106152026.A98222@virtual-voodoo.com>, Steve Ames writes:
>
>>>     On the other hand, there are *plenty* of things already in 4.0 that really
>>>     need to get out there and get a workout by a larger audience.
>>>     Delaying *them* is a big mistake.
>>
>>*shudder* I really, really dislike the idea of -RELEASE actually being a
>>wide beta so that some code can get a workout.
>
>Who said anything about -RELEASE being a beta ?  Some parts of a release
>will always be new, but the majority of it is the same code we released
>as 3.X, 2.X and even 1.X.
>
>We need for people to stop thinking of FreeBSD as commercial software
>which comes in "natural number" style enumerable packets.

While I agree with the sentiment Poul-Henning, the fact that Walnut
Creek actually packages a given CVS tag as being the 4.0-RELEASE or
whatever as a CD-ROM product gives it a commercial taste, no denying
that.

>FreeBSD style is "real number", it is a continuously evolving
>quantity which every now and then passes a natural number on the
>way to infinity.
>
>We can now spot a milestone called 4.0 and that's very nice, but we
>are not going to stop, because the road goes on past 4.0.

I think everyone knows that and acknowledges that, but the only thing I
tasted from the multitude of mails I just read and evaluated was that
people are satisfied with 4.0, but just want IPv6 support to be there,
in it's most finished state as possible, and not some half-rushed
thinghy which is there, but which is unusable.

I think that that is only fair.

BUT!  Given Shin's RFC on his KAME patches and the answers he got, it
almost looks like I was one of the very, very few to actually review his
patches (until I got sick and all that).

From those demanding IPv6 support in FreeBSD I have yet to see active
testing and feedback to Shin.  It seems people think the developers are
here to do everything.  Well, this is your wake-up call guys, it doesn't
work that way.  We only have the ability to use CVS on the sourcetree
directly and we will do a lot of stuff out of ourselves, but we need the
community to test, tinker and blow-up stuff and then report this back to
the community with general ideas of how and what if you are not that
much of a coder, or with patches if you can whoop them up.

FreeBSD's Quality Assurance is something in which we all take place.
Not just Walnut Creek or any of the committers.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...