Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:28:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.2-Release -> 4.2-Stable problems

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > I've got a brand new installation of 4.2-RELEASE running on a system, and
> > am trying to upgrade it to 4.2-STABLE.  I used cvsup to download the
> > source, and after almost 7 hours of compiling (ouch!  Pentium 166), make
> > buildworld dies with the following:
>
> Don't post build logs from make world -j<#> as the actual error may be
> hundreds of lines back in the output, since make only errors out once
> all pending jobs have exited.
>
> Do a 'make world' with no -j and there should be an obvious error
> right at the end.

I didn't use any options on my "make buildworld" command line at all.  I
scrolled back quite a ways, though, and I didn't see any obvious errors
other than the "Error code 126" at the end.  Perhaps there's a -j
somewhere in the Makefile?  I'm not much of a programmer, so editing
Makefiles beyond just the basics is somewhat over my head.