Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:24:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with SIOCADDMULTI, IFF_ALLMULTI and IFF_PROMISC

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Bill Fenner wrote:

> >What should I do when I see ALLMULTI?
>
> You should go promiscuous to multicast.  If the card doesn't support
> that, you should go fully promiscuous and drop unicasts that aren't
> to you.  (Make sure you don't block packets that bpf is going to
> want to see).

Also, if you want bridging support, you have to bridge before doing the
filtering.

Really, the filtering on ``appropriateness'' should only occur when the
packet is about to enter ether_input().

Speaking of which, I'd really like to see bridge support getting added to
all new NIC drivers from now on.  However, the current bridge interface
leaves something to be desired...

  Robert N M Watson