Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:14:10 +0200
From:      tudor@bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr
To:        Parthasarathi Biswas <amadeus@col.com.np>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

> Parthasarathi Biswas wrote:
>
> Hello,
> My name is Parthasarathi Biswas.Iam Trying to install FreeBSD.My
> problem is I have a multioperating systems in the same
> machine..98/NT/Linux.
> 1.98 and Nt are in the same disk but different partition.
> 2.the second disk is partioned in two ways one is a DOS partition
> which has some important datas.and the other partition is the LINUX
> partion.
> 3.My system first has LILO boot..and then its gives choices among 98
> and NT
>
> Now I want to delete linux partion/LINUX from the second disk/fourth
> partion and install FreeBSD there but don't know how to do am afraid
> it might delete my second disk and the datas.Pls advise how do I go
> about it.
> Thanks and Brgds
> Partha

hello,

I think you don't have to be afraid of loosing your DOS partition with
important data.
I guess you're used with fdisk and you're able to delete the Linux
partition and not the DOS one.
In the worse case, when you're not able to boot any operating system you
still can use a DOS boot disk and read your DOS partition.
Anyway, if you install FreeBSD over your Linux, you must use FreeBSD's
boot manager which is able to boot all your operating systems. In the
setup process at the boot manager section you should select the BootMgr
option. The boot manager MUST be installed on the 1st drive even if your
FreeBSD lies on your 2nd disk. Here is a reference for installing
FreeBSD's boot manager:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~rpratt/40/boot_mgr.html
Of course, you can search other references, too.

If something happens, a solution for booting at least your NT/98 is to
boot from a DOS bootdisk,
then: fdisk /mbr
and then setting your 98 or NT partition as active.

Good luck !

Tudor