Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 95 13:39:48 -0600
From:      jond@ctaeng.com (jon doran)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3com Etherlink III kernel not happy

Hi, I have 2.0.5R on a 486 with 2 3COM 3C509 Etherlink III's.  Things
worked well with one card, and I built a kernel with support for
the 2nd card.

I created a new config, added a new device entry, commented out everything
else on the port addresses of the cards (nothing important, or even there
as shown by failures of previous probes).  I changed /etc/sysconfig.
I built the kernel and booted it.

The kernel comes up, but when it comes time for the ifconfig, the ifconfig
takes a while.  In fact, netstat -i sits there for a long time as well.
In both cases, this happens when processing the 2nd card.

I have used 3com's cfg3c5x9 to configure the cards as follows:

I/O Base (300, 200)
IRQ (10, 3)
Boot Prom:  disabled
Transceiver:  Auto Select   (ifconfig shows UTP as result of autoselect)
Network Driver Optimization:  Windows or OS/2 client
Plug and Play:  disabled

Anyone have an idea what I screwed up this time?
Jon Doran

Jon Doran
CTA Inc.
5670 Greenwood Plaza Blvd, Suite 200