Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 18:34:02 -0500
From:      Hans Glitsch <hans@flash.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc

At 12:06 AM 5/11/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Dave Andersen wrote in message ID
><199605102200.QAA12863@shell.aros.net>:
>> Nope.  You'll have to find another Sparc on which to compile the
>> scripts.  Are you sure they're using FreeBSD on an UltraSparc?  That
>> strikes me as quite odd.  If they're not running Solaris or SunOS, they'd
>> probably be running NetBSD, not FreeBSD, which is more intel specific.
>
>I'll go further than that. You can't run FreeBSD on the UltraSPARC
>unless someone has written and is using code that we don't know of :-)
>There is a partial port of FreeBSD to the SPARC architecture, but
>AFAIK it's not complete enough to actually use for anything like a WWW
>server.
>
>Gary
>--
>Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
>FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.

Hello Gary, Dave, and Jason,

Thanks for the replies.

I just assumed they were running the FreeBSD system on their ultrasparc. On
their webpage at: http://www.flash.net/index.html they say that their server
is "powered by FreeBSD" and they have a link to your webpage. That's how I
found you! Their server may be some other kind of machine running FreeBSD.
The only thing I know about their ultrasparc is that they have recently
upped its RAM. Maybe they use it for the news or mail server???????? I'll
have to ask more about that.

Anyway I'm trying to install FreeBSD on my system. I just made a Dos
partition and I'm slowly reading your webpage to see what I need to do next
:-) How do you make money from this? Or is it a labor of love?

Thanks!
Hans
hans@flash.net