Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:29:31 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

From two separate posts [I get this in digest form]
> ------------------------------

> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:31:41 +0100
> From: Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
> Subject: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

> What with the recent security advisories on telnetd and also
> OpenSSH, I decided to upgrade my nat/ipfw/squid box from
> 4.3-RELEASE to RELENG_4_3.

> This all went according to plan, and I am now the proud owner of a
> slightly more secure box.

> My only surprise was that, a "uname -r" still reports the OS
> version as being 4.3-RELEASE. I guess, in a way, this still is
> 4.3-RELEASE since it has had no other changes apart from a few
> security patches. But, to me, this violates the idea that a
> -RELEASE is a snapshot of a development branch. Because, you can
> cvsup with tag=RELENG_4_3_RELEASE or tag=RELENG_4_3 and get two
> (slightly) different sets of sources, both of which claim to be
> the definitive 4.3-RELEASE.

> Further, in my case, the RELENG_4_3 world was made on a different
> box, and then exported to and installed on my gateway box, which
> doesn't have any sources on it. How can I tell that the box is
> running the patched 4.3-RELEASE and not the 'original' 4.3-RELEASE
> as the sources are not available?
>
> Might it be time to invent a new development branch name like
> FreeBSD 4.3-SECURITY or 4.3-PATCHED or something like that?

You could use the exact same nomeclature obliquely refered to
in UPDATING.

RELEASE-4.3.0p9

All the 9 patches are documented in UPDATING.  All are just patches
to existing programs - and as I see it doesn't need the name
changed at all, except maybe a patchlevel appeneded as suggested in
notes.   Any name change implies something more than a patch.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com