Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:18:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BT848 & ATI / S3 Cards

> That's interesting.  Doug White's got a Mach64 card too and said it worked
> in 8,15,16,32 bpp, just not 24.  This was however a Pro Turbo which has the
> faster VRAM; the Xpression has DRAM as I recall.  Might make a difference.

Not being following the thread to closesly.. I am running an S3 Virge
(Stealth 3D 2000, with 4MB of EDO). XFree 3.3.1, FreeBSD 3.0-current.
Older 486 motherboard with broken PCI chipset.

Prior to XFree 3.3.1 I was having IDE timeout problems (and lockups/disk
crashes), but it's much better now.

> Does it lock your machine?  Lock the Xserver?  Or just not display video?

Are you getting any timeouts?  Doug was getting ethernet card timeouts
previously.

> Is it running ximages mode or direct video when it locks (i.e. did it print
> "backing off and using XImages" when you started it up).  If it was doing
> direct video, for a test add "-disableDirectV" to the command line to

This optioned made it work for me prior to XFree 3.3.1

> disable direct video.  If this works OK, this might indicate a problem with
> PCI-PCI DMA on your system, possibly related to the chipset or that the
> DRAM Xpression not being able to handle the bandwidth.  Note that in 8bpp
> mode, you're not using direct video.

Bernie