Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:11:00 +0100
From:      Peter Harrison <peter.piggybox@virgin.net>
To:        Peter Harrison <peter.piggybox@virgin.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfce and shutting down...

Tuesday, 15 April 2008 at 22:53:55 +0100, Peter Harrison said:
> I upgraded my ports a week or so ago (after the Gnome 2.20 upgrade if that helps).
>
> I'm running Xfce on both 7.0 and 6.3. Before the upgrade, I could use the Xfce opanel shutdown button to poweroff the system (with the appropriate entry in sudoers).
>
> Following the upgrade, I simply get returned to the login screen, with the following message repeated twice in /var/log/messages:
>
> console-kit-daemon[839]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
>
> Can anyone shed any light on what's changed to prevent Xfce from being able to shut the system down? (Note, I can still poweroff by su-ing to root and running 'shutdown -p now').
>
> Can anyone shed any light?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Answering my own question, but for the sake of the archives...

It seems that xfsm-shutdown-helper no longer uses sudo to gain the necessary privileges to shut the system down - instead it uses hal & policykit.

Unfortunately this changeover doesn't seem to be documented anywhere - either for freebsd or xfce. However, give the user the appropriate permissions in /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf (see the man page for details) and it all starts working again.

Peter Harrison