Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 2010 05:40:30 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RELEASE -> -STABLE and size of /

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:29:51PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> > > I don't think you need them unless remote debugging and in that
> > > case you are multiuser (I would have thought anyway).
> > >
> > > If they went into /usr then /boot could remain slim.
> >
> > But what if you have /usr on a gmirror, glabel, zfs filesystem or any
> > other device that is not compiled in your kernel? Sure you can build
> > a custom kernel, but I would expect a lot of questions, frustrations
> > and footshooting from such a change.
> >
> > I think increasing / (again) would be the least painfull.
>
> You don't need debug symbols to boot a kernel, you only need them when
> debugging.

Somewhat related: can someone explain why debugging a crash dump of a
kernel which contains "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" requires and relies on
stuff in /usr/obj?

Meaning: if I build kernel/world, install kernel/world, and then rm -fr
/usr/obj/*, I won't be able to reliably debug a crash dump after the
system restarts.  I believe I can get a stack trace, but there's nothing
else that can be ascertained (bt full is basically worthless).

I've seen kernel crash dumps from people here on the list[1] which
contain way more detail than any of mine do[2].

Off-topic: I've noticed that /usr/obj is created as part of the OS
installation with perms 0755.  I've always thought there might be
security implications by that, so usually end up setting it to 0700 or
possibly 0750 (still root:wheel).

[1]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-January/054269.html
[2]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-October/052256.html

--