Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:38:22 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Thyer, Matthew" <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, "Wilkinson, Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, fclift@verio.net, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0 (fwd)

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:48:32AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 05-Nov-2002 Thyer, Matthew wrote:
> > On 06-Nov-2002 Baldwin, John wrote:
> >> This is what we do already.  Even i386 now uses 3 floppies to install.  The problem is
> >> that a really, really stripped down 5.0 kernel still doesn't fit onto kern.flp with the
> >> loader.
> >
> > Last I checked, the GENERIC kernel still had many network drivers.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be possible to put all of those modules on another floppy ?
> >
> > Dont worry about implementing interactive module loading for now.... we could just load
> > them all from the additional floppy under control of the loader.
>
> *sigh*  THIS IS WHAT WE DO ALREADY.  PLEASE LOOK AT WHAT WE DO NOW.
>
> (getting tired of saying the same thing over and over and over)

Sorry, for intruding to your discussion guys, but IIRC out loader has
functionality to load one module (kernel.ko for example :) from few
flopies. At least it worked well for i386 and quite may work -alpha too.

Did you tried to split kernel into two chunks and load it from two
flopies instead of striping kernel size over years ? :-)