Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:06:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yanking Sendmail need something easier to understand

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Ian P. Thomas wrote:

> 	I've never used postfix, but from what I've heard, it was built as
> a replacement for Sendmail due to Sendmail's numerous security problems.
> YMMV.  I run Sendmail with the smrsh option, this allows Sendmail to use a
> shell other than sh for its activities.  The smrsh was developed as a
> secure replacement for sh.  You can even specify which user commands smrsh
> will execute by putting them in /usr/adm/sm.bin/.  Performance wise, I can
> only speak from my own experience and say that Sendmail has always worked
> for me, but I only get around 200-300 email through my machine daily.

Hahah. Where did you hear this?

Postfix has as one main goal to be a drop in replacement for sendmail as
in compatability thats all. It's more secure then qmail and sendmail. And
performs 300% faster then qmail. Where ever you heard Postfix is insecure
by design, I would find a new place of information.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | Sr. Unix Administrator
Work:           chris.watson@twa.com | Trans World Airlines, Kansas City, MO
Home:              scanner@jurai.net | http://www.twa.com
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"