Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:50:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Jack Velte <jackv@earthling.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: html email

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Jack Velte wrote:

>>YIKES!  Please, for the sake of us old-timers, turn the HTML off. :(
>
>this is one of the biggest problems with FreeBSD.  html mail is THE standard
>everywhere except MH doesn't grok it.  is there progress in that direction?
>does any free unix mail package do html mail well?

Excuse me?? If html is a mail standard anywhere, I haven't noticed it.
Internet standards for mail are well defined and don't include a
mention of html. Besides, there are many of us who would rather read
substance in ascii than be dazzled by formatting.

My personal view is that, aside from obscuring communication, tags or
markup of any kind bloat the message beyond it's worth and wastes my
band width. If your thoughts don't stand on their own in ascii, tags
won't help. If they do, tags are unnecessary and wasted effort.

-- Jay