Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 07:20:31 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: one slight glitch in i4bispp

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 03:46:06PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Well, "Ich bin drin - ja", but when I connect for instance over isp0
> once and i4b times out, the session isn't awoken again when I
> type something in the respective xterm (or vty).
>
> Opening a fresh session in another xterm (vty) works fine.
>
> It looks to me like the old connection doesn't get informed about the
> new routes. (the IP address changes dynamically between sessions).
>
> What can I do about it?

When you get a dynamic assigned IP address, the interface address of your
machine changes. As long as you use this IP address for outgoing
connections (ssh, telnet, ...) you're stuck when the connection times
out: you can't tell either side that you're address has changed. Of
course, your machine should notice it, but what do you expect for the
other side? It would be real security problem if you really try to tell
some telnet session that the IP address of one side has changed :-)

OTOH, if you have some address range routed from your machine to somewhere
behind the MAX (like an internal overlay network based on 192.168.*) you
could try to open outgoing connections with these addresses and do dynamic
routing (based on some routing protocol), but this depends on what you are
really going to do.

BTW, you told us you have an Ascend MAX on the other side. Does this one
have some address pool for assigning dynamic addresses (I would expect so)?
You could increase the starting address of this pool once and use the now
more or less unused first IP address as a static one for your machine, this
will cause much less pain.

In my case, when I'm using some Internet-by-call provider, I have to run
something during the session that holds it open, like a ping to some host
in the provider's network so that neither one side of the connection ever
closes due to timeout. This also kills my girl-friends IRC sessions.

If I'm totally wrong, tell me a solution, please :-)

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,