Date:      Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:19:48 -0500
From:      Bob Perry <rperry@gti.net>
To:        Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major Error Upgrading to GNOME 2.12

Micah wrote:

> Bob Perry wrote:
>
>> This past weekend, I CVSup'd the ports tree and prepared to run
>> portupgrade.  I noticed a large number of GNOME ports in my output
>> from pkg_version and, found that I would need to run the GNOME
>> Project 's upgrade script to upgrade to 2.12.
>>
>> I use a dial-up modem had been timed out on several occasions.during
>> the process  This happened about three times during the night and I
>> had to restart the upgrade each time.  Note that I failed to use the
>> restart flag recommended during the first restart.  I finally ended
>> up with a "succesful upgrade..." message even though I now have only
>> 188 ports after beginning with 297.  Amongst the missing is gnome
>> 2.12 itself.
>>
>> I'm hoping there is some way to get things back to normal and rerun
>> the upgrade without re-installing the missing ports.  BTW, I did back
>> up /var/db/pkg.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.  I run 5.4 -RELEASE #0.  I'm running
>> this message from a second machine but should be able to supply the
>> logs if needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob Perry
>>

> gnome_upgrade_lst.xxxx in your tmp folder should contain a list of all
> the software that the script was going to update.  Compare that list
> with the output from pkg_version/portversion to see what needs
> reinstalling.  Reinstall it via whatever method you like (portinstall,
> cd /user/port/xxx/xxx && make install).  I am in a similar situation
> but I had the output from portversion from before the upgrade to rely
> on (and wrote a script that made a list of the differences).
>
> HTH,
> Micah

I was able to compare the list of files the script was going to update
to output from pkg_version to get an idea of what was missing.  I
started with gnome2 (cd /user/port/x11/gnome2 && make install) and now
have about a dozen ports left to install.  (Think I'll try portmanager
at a later date when I feel more comfortable with it.)

I certainly want to thank you all for your help.  Can't wait 'til next
upgrade.

Thanks,
Bob Perry