Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:44:45 +1100
From:      Tony Frank <tfrank@optushome.com.au>
To:        "greater_wyrm@yahoo.com.au" <greater_wyrm@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make is not working for me

Hi there,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:37:54AM +0800, greater_wyrm@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> forgive the newbie question please
>
> I am trying to install a package called bpalogin (it authorises Bigpond
> Broadband Cable users (Bigpond is an ISP in Australia)) and I have
> followed the instructions from the
> http://bpalogin.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download
>
> I have untarred th file and tried a make
> the result is
> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk", line 0: Cannot open /usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk
> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 0: Cannot open /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> make: fatal errors encoutered --cannot continue
>
> I have set write permissions on both files and write and execute
> permission on the Directories
>
> I would like some pointers to what to look for.
>
> I have a clean minimal install of 5.2
>
> Thanks everyone

Personally speaking, the port setup is a bit out of date.
It hasn't been updated in quite a while (whereas the FreeBSD ports
environment has changed) and it actually refers to v2.0 of bpalogin
anyway.

I suggest you grab the unix source directly and use it instead:

% fetch http://bpalogin.sourceforge.net/download/bpalogin-2.0.2.tar.gz
% tar zxvf bpalogin-2.0.2.tar.gz
% cd bpalogin-2.0.2
% ./configure
% make

Personally the 'make install' had a few issues for me.

Personally I would use:
% install -m 755 bpalogin /usr/local/sbin
% install -m 600 bpalogin.conf /usr/local/etc
% install -m 755 bpalogin.bsd /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bpalogin.sh

Then edit /usr/local/etc/bpalogin.conf to set relevant options.

% vi /usr/local/etc/bpalogin.conf

You should be able to start it up with:

% /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bpalogin.sh start

Note I have not personally used the software, but 2.0.2 compiles
cleanly on my 4.9 system and I expect it will compile ok on 5.2 also.

Regards,

Tony