Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:34:23 -0700
From:      Bruce Caruthers <bkc-freebsdlists@dreamfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't burn cds

On Thu Jul 26, 2007, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

[...]
> burncd -ef /dev/acd1 data
> /home/pauls/Downloads/RedHat/RHEL4-U5-x86_64-ES-disc1.iso fixate
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCWRITESPEED): Input/output error
>
> What the heck is going on?  The device is there.  Dmesg shows that the
> kernel knows what it is.  Yet I can't read or write cds, and, as you can
> see, camcontrol thinks it's non-existant.  Yet cdcontrol will open and
> close the drive but can't provide any info???  What am I missing?

Well, I'm using 6.2-RELEASE/amd64, and I get those same
"Input/ouput error" messages.  However, the discs I have
burned all worked fine, so I've assumed it was just
something the program tries to test for or request info
on, but can continue without.

Have you checked whether the burned discs actually work?

Cheers,
   -bkc