Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:25:37 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        josepha48@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isc-dhcp3-server issues with windows 2000 client

Hi,

> I built it by doing:
>     cd /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp3-server && make install
>
> the version = isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2 for both,  could their be code changes if the _2 did not change?

There should not be any change BUT... I imagine the aplied patches
could be different depending on FreeBSD version? The port maintener
would know about that.

> it is started via supplied shell script isc-dhcp3, I just renamed to  isc-dhcp3.sh
>
> I tried setting authoritative on and off in the dhcpd.conf file and that had no effect.
>
> It is almost like dhcpd does not even recognize the packets coming
> from win2k, but WinXP and FreeBSD clients seem okay.  I haven't
> tried other clients yet (Linux / Mac) but do have them.

Have you tried to examine the W2K packets with something like
wireshark (/usr/ports/net, formerly known as etherreal), if the w2k
packets are illy formed, it should tell you.

Silly question but, you are sure that there is no rogue DHCP server
floating around, and that it is not a problem with wyour w2k client?

> It is NOT running in a jail.
>
> The weird thing is that if I set IPAutoConfiguration in the win2k
> registry to 0 ( turning it off ), win2k get the gateway and dhcp
> server configured, but not it's IP address.

I am using 6.2p7 and isc-dhcpd.3.0.5_2 without any probelm.

Bests,

Olivier