Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:00:55 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        ecrist@secure-computing.net
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@magnesium.net>
Subject:   Re: closer, no cigar.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:33:51 -0500
Eric Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 22:19, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > The first of these processes is sendmail started in submit mode by the
> >
> > `rc.sendmail' startup script.  The relevant rc.conf options are:
> > : sendmail_enable="NO"
> > : sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
> > : sendmail_submit_flags="-L smtpd -bd -q30m
> > : -ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost"
> >
> > - Giorgos
>
> Can you exlpain exactly what submit mode is for?

hello, eric!  giorgos, if you'll permit me.

hmmm...  let's see.  something about sendmail.

~> apropos sendmail
aliases(5)               - aliases file for sendmail
editmap(8)               - query and edit single records in database maps
for sendmail makemap(8)               - create database maps for sendmail
rc.sendmail(8)           - sendmail(8) startup script
sendmail(8)              - an electronic mail transport agent
smrsh(8)                 - restricted shell for sendmail

aha.  that certainly is quite a few to chose from.  well, judging by these
descriptions _and_ given the quotation marks kindly offered by giorgos up
above, 'rc.sendmail' certainly seems to be the most likely candidate.  hey,
we've got time on our hands, so let's give that a try...

~> man rc.sendmail
rc.sendmail -- sendmail(8) startup script
    <snip>
sendmail_submit_enable
             (bool) If set to ``YES'' and...
    <snip>
sendmail_submit_flags
             (str) If sendmail_enable is set to ``NO'' ...
    <snip>

what do ya know!  we figured it out _and_ on our first try.

> Is it something you want running on a production mail server?

now that you know what it is...

for my part, i dunno.  i don't run sendmail.  perhaps someone could share
with us their thoughts?

hth,
epi