Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 00:13:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> >> What makes a group non-arbitrary and gets them to share a Schelling
> >> point?
> >
> > What makes them non-arbitrary is the fact that they share a Schelling
> > point.
>
> It's arbitrary that you've found them to share one.

Are you maybe unaware of what people mean when they say "Schelling
point"?  It's a measure of shared cultural understanding, or, in
more technical terms, the set of lowest entropy equalibria.

As such, it is never arbitrary.

> >> Well, then I was correct even by this definition. Simple vs complex is
> >> arbitrary.
> >
> > Yeah, they are just "arbitrarily" antonyms...
>
> Everything is arbitrary. ;)

Almost nothing is arbitrary; it actually takes a great amount of
skill to be arbitrary, and even the skilled often fail at the
attempt.

> > Professional: characterized by or conforming to the technical or
> > ethical standards of a profession.
>
> Look at the definition of "profession", then get back to me.

Luckily for me, I didn't use that word.

> That's not yours to give, but I'll bet you'll find some argument to
> justify that. ;)

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to
 the death your right to die in a fire of suspicious origin..."

> >> Ah! That "<presses key>" adds an action to your original presentation.
> >> In fact, you don't need to sing or shout, you can just <press the key>
> >> and get more effective results. |)
> >
> > Since when isn't sticking your fingers in your ear an action?
>
> It is, however you added <presses key>.

It's an apt analogy: "just ignore input you do not wish to observe".

> >> That conditional is irrelavent to "simple".
> >
> > Sure it is.  It's a modifier on the set of possible explanations.
>
> It's an irrelevant and arbitrary modifier.

It's not arbitrary.

Do a google search on "Schelling point", and read the top 15
results.  You can ignore the ones I wrote, if you're afraid of
bias.

-- Terry