Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 01:39:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD 3DNow instructions on FreeBSD

As I recall, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> The Athlon supports the same 3DNow instruction as the K6
> family, but it also supports some additional instructions
> which are very useful.  If you're interested in the details,
> I recommend the following documents:
>
>   "AMD Athlon Processor x86 Code Optimization Guide" (22007)
>   "3DNow Technology Manual" (21928)
>   "MMX Enhanced Processor Multimedia Technology" (20726)
>   "AMD Extensions to the 3DNow and MMX Instruction Sets" (22466)
>
> The number in parentheses is the AMD document order number.
> All of these documents can be order from AMD on CD-ROM.  They
> can also be downloaded from AMD's web site at the following
> URL in PDF format:
>
>   http://www.amd.com/support/techdocdir.html
>
> 3DNow instructions work on floating point values, while MMX
> instructions work on integer values.  However, 3DNow code uses
> the same registers as MMX instructions, so it is common to
> intermix them (for example, use MMX instructions to move values
> into registers, then use 3DNow instructions for computation,
> then use an MMX instruction to negate the result).

Tell me more about the SETIathome project.  Did you have source to
work with?  Did you reverse-engineer something?

I know the SETIathome folks are very skeptical about changes to the
client software, for fear of a bug poluting the results pool.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net