Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 15:32:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Brian Bell <brianb@strategywon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrequent but nasty problem

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Brian Bell wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> My 3.1 FreeBSD system has run well for some time but this morning I sat
> down to my machine and it had crashed during the night.  I saw that it had
> run fsck fine. I logged in and got xwindows running with no problems
> until I tried to run one of the programs that the machine was running at
> the crash (rc5 proj).  Instant crash of the whole system.  Rebooted and
> deleted the rc5 program and tried to run my other program (make of
> java1.1.7)  Crashed my whole system.  Rebooted again and fsck was starting
> to find lots of problems.  Kicked out of the boot and said to run fsck
> manually.  I did and it fixed some block problems.  Went into xwindows and
> tried to run netscape.  Crash out of xwindows.  Tried to restart xwindows
> and crashed the whole system.  When I rebooted some times i get a huge
> crash right after boot up with the error of the pager.  So I am now
> booting kernel.old and running fcsk to find out what is crapping things
> out.  It keeps just saying disk dirty rerun fsck.  I have done that now 6
> times.  What do I need to do to start stabilizing my system?  I am afraid
> to start anything do to it might just hose my system and that would hurt:)
> Let me know what more details you want. thnxs

if this was the first time something like this has happened and
you can't seem to keep the box alive for more than a few minutes
and random things "just die" you most likely hve some sort of
burned out hardware.

perhaps it's your CPU fan, a drive gone flakey or a loose connection.

this is the only thing i can think of that would cause such a
change in your system stability.

-Alfred