Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:37:36 -0400
From:      "FreeBSD-IPFW" <freebsd@wilkerstaff.com>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   texts

Hello,

I've been a lurker here for ~2 months.  I'm currently a college graduate and
quite frankly I find this stuff (freebsd-ipfw) fascinating.  I've decided to
personally implement some ipfw stuff.  I'm looking for some type of text
that explains theory and can also be used as a reference w/ examples, maybe
this will have to be two texts.  Can anyone give a good website or text that
is definitive (difficult for a work in progress)?

I've checked www.freebsd.org/handbook and, of course, the man page [ipfw(8)]
both of which seem to be a good start.

I guess while I'm at it, I'll ask my specific question:

I've decided to do an exercise in traffic shaping.  Specifically I would
like to do something along the lines of a QoS packet scheduler (Not sure if
this is the correct terminology).  In other words, something that would
prioritize email over ftp over http and so forth, so that if all three were
running email would get a large chunk of the bandwidth 66%, ftp would get
23%, and http would get 10%.  This is just an example.  Here is another
(possibly similar) example.  Three computers in an internal lan connected to
a box with natd and an internet connection.  Computer A gets 50% of
available bandwidth and Computer B and C each get 25%.  I'm guessing the
second example would be easier to implement than the first.

Any suggestions on getting out of the gate on this problem?  Or any
suggestions regarding a good website or text for more in-depth information
on the subject?

Thanks in advance for your help and insight!

Greg