Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 18:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Leonardo Cardoso <lcardoso@centroin.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Devices in BSD

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Leonardo Cardoso wrote:

>         How can I use my modem? I have an USR 33.6K in COM4 IRQ3 and cannot
> use it in my BSD system ("device not found" is the message). I try option
> "-c" during boot, configured the "sio3" device (is this the COM4?) and
> doens't work!

Remember that GENERIC doesn't support anything above sio1.  Try building a
custom kernel with the proper IRQ settings.  Remember, you cannot share
IRQs!

>         Another one...the "mount" command in version 2.0.5 have a bug? I
> can't mount my MSDOS partition in BSD. I have and 1.6 Gb hard drive with 2
> partitions (800M & 700M). The device name is "wd0a" for the first and
> "wd0b" for the second, isn't it?

Nope.  wd0a is your root partition; wd0b is your swap partition.  Try
this:

mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s? /mnt

where ? = the slice your DOS partition is on as reported by fdisk

>         Last one... How can I configure a normal account the have the level
> of SU (superuser)? I can do it only with "root", with another accounts came
> a message saying like this : "You are not in the correct group...".

Add the account to the root group, in /etc/group.

>         Sorry any English errors... I'm brazilian!

You have excellent English.