Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:22:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   i lost some files

... but not to worry, my backups are up to date.

but what im perplexed about is, my file system graph has never taken a hit
to show the amount of data that i think i lost.  its nearly flatlined!

now, over the past few days, ive had some trouble with some usb devices
and system crashes, and my system has forced fsck on my 300GB drive
several times over the past 7 days or so.  right about now, im noticing a
single directory missing.  is it remotely possible, that all these
crashings, and probably some files were open via NFS, that this directory
has been corrupted to the point where the data might be there, but just
totally invisible?

since i figured a full reload on that volume wont hurt me, i wipe it.  df
-h shows:

[jhorne@athena ~]$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
[snip]
/dev/ad4s1g    227G    4.0K    209G     0%    /opt

209 gigs available, 0% capacity... does that look correct?  i forget how
big the directory im looking for was, but i might have been about 15 gigs
or so (eh... maybe not that big... i forget).  either way, the 209 gigs
has me perplexed for a bit here.  anyone have some insight?

thanks,
jonathan