Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:15:00 -0500
From:      "John Brooks" <john@day-light.com>
To:        <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Bad Network Config? - Mail Refused

once you made the telnet connection to port 25, try manually sending
mail

helo blacksheep
mail from: drew@mykitchentable.net
rcpt to: valid_user_on_system
data
this is a test
.
quit

you should get a 220 response at connection, a 250 reponse for most
commands, a 354 response for "data", and a 221 response at termination

if that works check in /var/mail/ to see if mail ended up in the mailbox

did you make sure that root is aliased to a valid user?

check /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf and make sure you've set it up
properly. some things to look at:

myhostname
mydomain
myorigin
mydestination
mynetworks
alias_database

try setting "disable_dns_lookups = yes" to eliminate it being a dns
issue

personally I'd run postfix on both boxes.

--
John Brooks
Email:  john@stlbsd.org